HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Virtual Box Error

Ramesh Dv

Please let me know, what is going on my installation. Thanks in advance, Ramesh

I am trying to start and following the instructions for Windows: http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Installing_HDP_Sandbox_01_12.pdf

Failed to open session for the virtual machine Sandbox HDP Bombardier 2
    VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component: Console
    Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

Result Code:
    E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    tedr

Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for trying the Hortonworks Sandbox.

As this is an issue with the Sandbox it should really have been posted there.

What is going on with your installation of the Sandbox is you need to enable the VT-x/AMD-V Acceleration. You do this by:
    – Selecting the Sandbox VM in the list of available VMs in virtual box, do not double click, just single click.
    – Open the settings for this VM
    – Go to System -> Acceleration
    – Make sure that both checkboxes there are checked and select ‘OK’

Start the Sandbox VM.

If these are already checked and you still get the error, then either Hardware Virtualization is not enabled or not available on your CPU.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Rohit Uplekar
    Participant

I am facing the same issue , but the Acceleration tab is greyed.

Himanshu Kumar
    Participant

Hi Tedr,

I am facing the same issue which @Ramesh is facing.
    I have gone through the steps told by you. I have used “securable.exe” to check my “Hardware Virtualization”, it is showing that my Hardware Virtualization is enabled.

but still I am getting the same issue.
    My system configuration:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Core E7500 @ 2093GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
    System type: 64 – bit Operating System

Please help me out…

Thanks.

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.