Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

Want to extract my server logs to HDFS

Mur Raguthu

Is it Flume is the only solution? I was able to install Flume on Sandbox but I got sutck at configuration. Any help would be appreciated.

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Hi Mur,

Thanks for trying the Hortonworks Sandbox.
    Am I correct in assuming that you’ve read over the documentation at : http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html ?

Mur Raguthu

We are able to set up Flume-NG in Sandbox and able to load ‘sandbox log files’ from same sandbox to HDFS. Now we are planning to extract other server logs in to Sandbox HDFS. Yes I am going through documentation and planning to set up like “$ telnet localhost 44444”. Did anybody done this with Sandbox? Share your experiences please?

Larry Liu

Hi, Mur,

Can you please clarify what you are trying to do? From your last post, you are planning to extract other server logs in to Sandbox HDFS. I am wondering if you could provide more detail? We can start from here.

Mur Raguthu

Hi Larry,
    As of now we are able to pull messages from sandbox file system to HDFS (same server) via Flume-NG. We have multiple SQL servers and would like to pull those server logs to HDFS for analysis. That is the plan..

Is that makes sense? Please let us know.

Larry Liu

Hi, Mur,

I think the first thing to do is to set up flume agent on SQL servers.

I am referring to the following web site:

Please let us know when you have questions during configuration.

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.