Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox What happened to the sandbox default user?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

In the new Hortonworks sandbox, there does not appear to be any user with user name sandbox like there was in the HDP 1.2 version of the sandbox.

I am used to ssh-ing into the VM as this user and this was the user that the file browser was pre-configured to use.

Now it seems that the user hue has assumed this role. But this user has no home directory in /home but instead the home directory is /usr/lib/hue.

This seems wrong to me. I guess I can create a new default user in the OS and then use the User Management pane to give this user hadoop access.

But this seems to me to be a big change in behavior.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi James,

The bit with the hue home directory not being in /home is a bug that we’ll get fixed in the next release, but the easiest work around till that happens is to change hue’s home directory as you mention.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Thanks for the official word on the hue user replacing sandbox. So if I have stuff I want to mess with in the VM not as root, I put them in /usr/lib/hue which is the home directory for hue? I guess as root I can create a directory /home/hue and either change the home directory for hue to there or link to it from /usr/lib/hue when I am not explicitly doing hue stuff as hue.

Still seems a little regressive to me.

Collapse

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

You can use the hue user now as opposed to the sandbox user. The password for hue is hadoop.

Collapse

Thanks for the reply.

As you may recall from previous posts, I install R and RStudio into the sandbox VM and I need to login as to RStudio as a real user. I don’t want to use root for this, and it seems bad form to use hue as this user. Having a normal user that is enabled for Hadoop/HDFS with a real home directory would be preferred. I want to put stuff into this home directory for staging purposes as well: R scripts and compressed files for installation.

Perhaps this was an oversight?

Collapse

tedr

Hi James,

I’ll check into why the user was changed and the current user is configured unusually. In the mean time you should be able to ssh in as root with the password ‘hadoop’. I have also noticed as you did the the documentation for the tutorials hasn’t yet caught up with this user change.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

BTW, the tutorials still seem to assume that there at least is a hadoop hdfs user with the name sandbox.

Collapse
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)