Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation What is the correct procedure to shut down clusters(HMC,name node,data nodes)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Wen-Chich Teng 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hi Sasha:

I wonder what is the correct procedure to shut down clusters(HMC,Name Node, Data Node),then power on clusters ?
    My Hadoop clusters are composed of 5 nodes, 1 name node(with HMC), 4 data nodes.
    I once shut down 1 name node(with HMC), then powered up name node(with HMC),
    after that, I never had a chance to let my cluster work again.
    The error message required me to uninstall clusers, but the procedure to uninstall clusters never succeeded. so I had to remove HMC , then reinstall HMC to deploy clusters again.
    But it’s all the same,the condition never improved. Deploy clusters will definitely fail at install HDFS stage or somewhere again.
    After the cluster deployment failure, I was required to uninstall clusters again.
    However,as you can expect, the procedure to uninstall clusters will fail, and never succeed.
    So I have to remove HMC ,then reinstall HMC , start HMC to deploy clusters.
    eventually, this deployment will fail again at HDFS installation stage.

My questions are
    1. What is the correct procedure to shut down clusters,then power on them ?
    my Hadoop clusters consists of 5 nodes, 1 name node(with HMC), 4 data nodes.
    If I need to power down these 5 nodes PM 9:00 every night, then power up them at
    AM 9:00 tomorrow morning,
    2.Why the uninstall clusters procedure can not be completed when there is some trouble on deploy clusters procedure? Anything wrong with the uninstall procedures or deploy cluster steps ?
    It’s a nightmare to uninstall clusters then deploy clusters ,
    It’s an endless loop. and the only way to break this failure loop is by formatting Hard drive,
    re-insall CentOS linux environment, then set up HMC, finally to deploy clusters successfully.

Regards,
    Jeff

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Dear Sasha :

Thanks a lot for this information.

Regards,

Jeff

Collapse

Sasha J

Jeff,

The correct procedure for shutting down an HDP cluster is to go to the hmc manage services tab, and then select the “stop all” button. Wait for everything to stop and then you can power off the machines in any order you wish.

Then to power the system back up you basically reverse the process. Power on the computers in the cluster, then, on the hmc server in the cluster, start hmc with ‘service hmc start’ and ‘service hmc-agent start’. Then point your browser at http://<FDQN>/hmc/html (replace <FDQN> with the FDQN of the hmc server in your cluster).

The above instructions assume that the machines in the cluster are using static ip. If they are using dynamic ip then you’ll need to update the ‘/etc/hosts’ file on every machine in the cluster before starting hmc.

Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)