Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Where is /user/sandbox/

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dan Nuttle

When I follow the tutorials, I use the web interface to upload files to /user/sandbox. Where is this in the actual Linux file system? I can’t seem to find it. I’ve tried to use find to locate the files I’ve uploaded, and they don’t seem to be anywhere. Hortonworks is storing them internally, it appears(?) So if I want to use Pig directly at the command line, do I need to upload the data files using SCP, so that they’re available in the Linux file system?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Dan,

The quick answer to your question is that the files uploaded to the Sandbox are not in the Linux file system. They are in the HDFS file system. When files are in HDFS they are not directly locatable in the Linux file system, they are broken into blocks and stored in the directories designated by the hadoop configurations as the hdfs store, they are stored by block id not by the name of the files when you look at them in the Linux file system. The hadoop NameNode keeps track of which filenames go with which blocks.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Dan Nuttle

Please disregard. I realize now that the files are in HDFS.

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)