Home Forums HBase Why HBase and not Cassandra or MongoDB?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tri Nguyen
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry if this question is posted in the wrong forum. I would like to know what is the rational for HBase being included in the Hortonworks Data Platform. How about other storage solutions such as Cassandra or MongoDB. What is the reason for not including these?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Tri,

To answer your questions the best that I can,
    No that is not what I meant – I meant to say that Casandra and MongoDB are only not developed as a part of the Hadoop stack by the Apache community the are developed as separate projects that can be integrated in a Hadoop stack. I also did not mean to imply that they don’t contribute any benefits to a particular Hadoop cluster also since they can and have been successfully integrated in to Hadoop clusters this integration will not cause any conflicts. I cannot speak to the advantages of any of these big data DBs over any of the others as I am not familiar enough with either MongoDB or Casandra.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Tri Nguyen
    Participant

Hi Ted,

Can you please clarify? Does that mean:

1- Cassandra or MongoDB don’t use the Hadoop framework at all?
    2- Or because they don’t contribute any benefit to the Hadoop framework?
    3- Or because their integration would imply additional technical difficulties?
    4- Or because their integration would conflict or harm an existing component currently in HDP?

More generically, what is the business value of Hortonworks for NOT including Cassandra or MongoDB in HDP? Let’s assume, for whichever reason, that it was determined for our project that Cassandra is better suited than HBase. What would be the advantage for adopting HDP instead of DataStax Enterprise?

Thanks.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Tri,

Apache Hbase is included as HBase is developed as a part of the Hadoop eco system. The others are not.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)