Ok, this is what I have so far ..
– Windows Server 2008R2 (Single Node Install ONLY) (Always logged in as an Administrator)
– HortonWorks 2.0.6
– JDK 184.108.40.206 and the latest version of Python installed as well.
– All ports are OPEN on this machine as it is inside our company firewall
– Followed the instructions for the Quick Start single node installation (as per the doco and these completed OK)
All local hdp services started OK (as per ‘start_local_hdp_services)
Ok, this of course failed when I first ran it, so then I check forum posts.
So far I have done the following
– Opened up a command shell as the haddop user (runas /use:hadoop cmd)
– Changed the permissions on the /mapred folder via ‘hadoop fs -chmod -R 755 /mapred’
Then ran the smoke tests again and …
Hadoop Smoke Test PASSED
Pig Smoke Test PASSED
HCatalog Smoke Test FAILED
Hive Smoke Test FAILED
There is not much info about this stuff around the NET so I tried a couple of things (especially as permissions seemed to be the issue) …
– Changed the Onwership of the /user folder via ‘hadoop fs -chown -R haddop /user’ (previosuly owned by me)
– Changed the Onwership of the /hive folder via ‘hadoop fs -chown -R haddop /hive’ (previosuly owned by me)
– Changed the permissions on the /user folder via ‘hadoop fs -chmod -R 755 /user’
– Changed the permissions on the /hive folder via ‘hadoop fs -chmod -R 755 /hive’
So no my filesystem looks like this …
D:\hdp>hadoop fs -ls /
Found 4 items
drwxrwxrwt – hadoop hdfs 0 2014-03-04 12:13 /app-logs
drwxr-xr-x – hadoop hdfs 0 2014-03-04 12:18 /hive
drwxr-xr-x – hadoop hdfs 0 2014-03-04 11:42 /mapred
drwxr-xr-x – hadoop hdfs 0 2014-03-04 12:12 /user
I then ran the smoke tests again and this time …
– Hadoop Smoke Test FAILED
– Pig Smoke Test FAILED
– HCatalog Smoke Test PASSED
– Hive Smoke Test PASSED
So I just have a few questions …
1. Why have the first 2 x smoke tests failed now when they had previously passed? Is this normal? Can you run them more than once?
2. Will there be any negative consequences from changing the ownership and permissions as above?
3. Considering that at one time, ALL of the smoke tests PASSED, can I move on to the next section of my evaluation?
Any help much appreciated.
P.S. Dear HortonWorks guys … can you please update the documentation and include other efforts we may need to make to get the Smoke Tests to run successfully. It has taken about a day to try and work out what to do and I’m still not sure if I have it right.
Also, can you please updae the PS Scripts so that we don’t see a myriad of ‘deprecated’ commands in the log output. It’s extremely annoying when trying to find out where the error truly is.
Also, is it possible to INCREASE the character limit of the postings in this forum so that we can post output logs etc.