Home Forums YARN YARN vs. Mesos

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Grant Priestley 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Grant Priestley
    Participant

Hi All,

I am trying to find more information regarding the key differentiators between YARN and Mesos, in terms of resource provisioning (eg. does YARN support resource provisioning of non-JAVA or MapReduce jobs). There is some information scattered across the internet, however no “official” documentation / comparison between the tools.

Cheers,
    Grant

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Grant Priestley
    Participant

Arun,

Thank you for your reply. We are about to commence some comparison testing of mesos against yarn and was wondering if there are any benchmarks that are available for Yarn? I’m currently discuss the possible release of the comparison to a Hadoop / Big Data community for everyone to share.

Cheers,
    Grant

Collapse

Arun Murthy
    Participant

Grant, the quora post is reasonably accurate about high-level differences such as YARN has resource-requests, while Mesos has offer/reject with concept of resource-requests etc.

Since then, like you noted, YARN has made significant strides with expanded features (multi-resource scheduling, cgroups, significant number of applications such as Storm, Giraph, HOYA etc.) and has matured considerably. For e.g. Yahoo has been running 35000 nodes of YARN in production for over 8 months now. Some more details: http://strata.oreilly.com/2013/06/moving-from-batch-to-continuous-computing-at-yahoo.html. So, the take away is primarily around its’ maturity and battle-hardness since that post.

W.r.t Mesos and it’s maturity, deployment-scale etc., I don’t think I’m the right person to answer it since I don’t want to mis-represent them. You might want to check with the Mesos community directly. Thanks.

Collapse

Grant Priestley
    Participant

Hi Priyank,

Yes I have read the post you have referred to; however it is quite dated (sept 2011). There have been significant advances in YARN since then Eg. CPU allocation using cgroups.

Grant

Collapse
    Collapse
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)