The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HBase Forum

zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Error while calling watcher

Gwenael Le Barzic
    Participant

Hello !

I have a cluster with 5 nodes, among which 1 master and 4 data nodes.
    i launch a shell hbase :
    hbase shell

When I try to create a table, or to execute a query, I always have the logs from Zookeeper appearing :

hbase(main):015:0>  create 't1', 'f1', SPLITS => ['10', '20', '30', '40']
    <b>2014-04-23 16:21:06,030 ERROR [main-EventThread] zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Error while calling watcher
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Received event is not valid: AuthFailed
            at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.connectionEvent(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:410)
            at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.process(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:319)
            at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.processEvent(ClientCnxn.java:519)
            at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:495)
    0 row(s) in 0.5000 seconds</b>

I was wondering how I could solve these logs ? What do they mean ?

Best regards.

Gwenael Le Barzic

• Author
    Replies
    Koelli Mungee

Hello Gwenael

What version of hbase are you using?

rpm -qa | grep hbase

It looks like you may be hitting the issue described in
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10793

Can you do a list command in the shell and let us know if it gives you the list of the tables?
    -Koelli

Gwenael Le Barzic
    Participant

Hello Koelli !

Thank you for your answer and sorry for the delay.

We’re running 0.96.1 of HBase on our HDP 2.0.6 cluster.

I can perform a command list, and it works, but I always have the logs concerning zookeeper:error while calling watcher.
    hbase(main):001:0> list
    TABLE
    SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
    SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/lib/hadoop/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.5.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
    SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/lib/zookeeper/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
    SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
    2014-05-26 11:39:03,117 ERROR [main-EventThread] zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Error while calling watcher
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.connectionEvent(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:410)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.process(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:319)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.processEvent(ClientCnxn.java:519)
    2014-05-26 11:39:03,805 ERROR [main-EventThread] zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Error while calling watcher

I get the list of tables.
    test1
    test2
    simple_hcat_load_table
    t1
    7 row(s) in 1.8440 seconds

=> ["test1", "test2", "mbe", "simple_hcat_load_table", "t1"]

But I always got the log saying there is a problem with zookeeper.

Best regards.

Gwenael Le Barzic

The forum ‘HBase’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.