Welcome to the QlikView (Business Discovery Tools) tutorial developed by Qlik™. The tutorial is designed to help you get connected with QlikView within minutes, to access data from the Hortonworks Sandbox or Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP). QlikView will allow you to immediately gain personalized analytics and discover insights into data residing in the Sandbox or HDP. As with most BI tools, QlikView can use Apache Hive (via ODBC connection) as the SQL access to data in Hadoop.
QlikView has two modes of ingesting data
This Tutorial will cover loading data into Qlikview In-Memory Associative Data Store; with simple modifications to the load script, the application can be configured to run the Qlikview Hybrid Solution where data resides inside HDP.
Prerequisite 1: Download QlikView Desktop Personal Edition
Prerequisite 2: Working HDP Cluster (Please choose one of the below. This tutorial uses Sandbox)
Prerequisite 3: Download HDP Hive ODBC Driver
Step 1: Install QlikView Desktop Personal Edition. (QlikView is Windows Only Application) The current version of QlikView of this writing is QlikView 11 SR5.
Step 2: Install HDP Hive ODBC driver and Connect QlikView to HDP.
Step 3: QlikView Integration with HDP Hive – See the associated tutorial with step by step screen shots
In this section, we will explore how QlikView can explore data in HDP. The tutorial will walk through steps to setup QlikView to Load Data from Hive. Please review HDP Tutorial and load sample data sets into Hortonworks Hive before starting this section.
1. Start QlikView Desktop Personal Edition
5. Select your HIVE ODBC Connection enter your credentials and test your connection
6. Click OK to clear connection test and OK on the QlikView ODBC Manager and a connection string will appear on Script Editor
8. Choose your sample table and select okay to add to HIVE table load script for selected sample table.
9. Click Okay to exit Script Editor or Reload to Load Data immediately into QlikView
Reload will force user to save the QlikView document with a new name.
10. Click Reload
11. The QlikView Document will pull in HDP Table into QlikView in Memory Associative Data Store. In this example we will pull in **_sample_07 _**table. Please note 823 lines were extracted from HDP Hive and inserted into QlikView In-Memory Associative Data Store.
12. Right click and choose “select fields”
p id=”13.clickaddalltoaddallfieldstocurrentqlikviewsheet.”>13. Click Add All to add all fields to current QlikView Sheet.
Once the data is imported you are ready to go. Now you can use QlikView to create insightful data visualization applications with data from Hadoop, Hortonworks Sandbox and Hortonworks Data Platform.
You can Download QlikView Files for this Tutorial in this Link: Download Qlik HDP Sample QVW
To help you learn more about QlikView view these videos:
New To QlikView Videos – Series of 1 to 3 minutes video on QlikView Topics from loading data to designing charts to creating buttons.