How to Install and Configure the Hortonworks ODBC driver on Windows 7
Self Paced Learning Library
On demand learning any time, any where, on any digital deviceSign up now
This tutorial describes how to install and configure the Hortonworks ODBC driver on Windows 7.
The Hortonworks ODBC driver enables you to access data in the Hortonworks Data Platform from Business Intelligence (BI) applications such as Microsoft Excel, Tableau, Qlik, Micro Strategy, Cognos, and Business Objects.
- Windows 7
- Hortonworks Sandbox
The Hortonworks ODBC driver installation consists of the following steps:
- Download and install the Hortonworks ODBC driver.
- Configure the ODBC connection in Windows 7.
Boot your VM. Once the Sandbox screen shows on the console hit Alt-F5 to get a login and login as root/hadoop. Type
ifconfig and look for eth0. The IP address of Eth0 is the address you will use as the IP address when you configure the ODBC connection.
Step 1: Download and Install the Hortonworks ODBC Driver
- In Windows 7, open a web browser and navigate to http://hortonworks.com/download/. Click the Add-Ons link at the bottom of the Hortonworks Data Platform box.
- On the Add-Ons page, scroll down to Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver (Windows + Mac) and select the driver that matches the version of Excel installed on your system (32-bit or 64-bit). For this tutorial, we will configure for Excel 2013 64-bit, so we’ll select Windows 64-bit (msi).
- Review the Hortonworks license, then click Accept Agreement.
- To start the download, click Save File on the pop-up message.
- After the download is complete, double-click to open the downloaded HortonworksHiveODBC64.msi file, then click Run on the pop-up security message to open the setup wizard.
- To start the installation, click Next on the Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver Setup Wizard Welcome screen.
- Review the license agreement, then select the checkbox to accept the license terms. Click Next to continue.
- Click Next to accept the default installation folder.You can also type in a different location, or click Change to select a different installation folder using a file browser.
- To begin the installation, click Install.
- If a reboot is required, a pop-up message will appear. Click OK to continue.
- When the installation is complete, the setup wizard displays a confirmation message. Click Finish to close the setup wizard.
- A pop-up message will appear. Close any open applications, then click Yes to restart your system.
Now that you have successfully installed the Hortonworks ODBC driver, the next step is to configure the driver.
Step 2: Configure the Hortonworks ODBC Driver
- In the Windows Control Panel, select Administrative Tools, then double-click Data Sources (ODBC) to open the ODBC Data Source Administrator.
- Select the System DSN tab. The Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN should be selected by default; if not, select it. Click Configure to continue.
- On the Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver DSN Setup window, type in the settings as shown in the image below. Type the IP address of the Hortonworks sandbox in the Host box. The Authentication mechanism should be set to User Name, and the sandbox user name should be entered in the User Name box (in this case the default user name, “hue”).
The sandbox IP address is displayed in the command prompt window after the sandbox VM (Virtual Machine) starts, and also appears in the browser address box when you open the sandbox.
If you are running more than one VM, the last number of the IP address may vary depending on the order in which the sandbox VM was started relative to the other VMs. In this example, the sandbox VM was started first, and its IP address is 220.127.116.11. If the sandbox VM had been started second (after another VM), its IP address would then be 18.104.22.168.
The IP address provided in this tutorial is an example – your IP address may be different. Be sure to check the sandbox command prompt window after starting the VM for the IP address used for your sandbox installation.
- Click Test to test the configuration settings. If the test is successful, a confirmation message appears. Click OK to close the message box.
- On the Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver DSN Setup window, click OK to save the driver configuration settings.
- Click OK to close the ODBC Data Source Administrator window.
Now that you have configured the Hortonworks ODBC driver, you can enable ODBC connections in BI tools such as Microsoft Excel, then use those applications to access data in the Hortonworks Platform.