What Sqoop Does
Designed to efficiently transfer bulk data between Apache Hadoop and structured datastores such as relational databases, Apache Sqoop:
- Allows data imports from external datastores and enterprise data warehouses into Hadoop
- Parallelizes data transfer for fast performance and optimal system utilization
- Copies data quickly from external systems to Hadoop
- Makes data analysis more efficient
- Mitigates excessive loads to external systems.
How Sqoop Works
Sqoop provides a pluggable connector mechanism for optimal connectivity to external systems. The Sqoop extension API provides a convenient framework for building new connectors which can be dropped into Sqoop installations to provide connectivity to various systems. Sqoop itself comes bundled with various connectors that can be used for popular database and data warehousing systems.
Try Sqoop with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.Get Sandbox