Sandbox comes with a dozen hands-on tutorials that will guide you through the basics of Hadoop; tutorials built on the experience gained from training thousands of people in our Hortonworks University Training classes
The easiest way to get started with Enterprise Hadoop
Sandbox is a personal, portable Hadoop environment that comes with a dozen interactive Hadoop tutorials. Sandbox includes many of the most exciting developments from the latest HDP distribution, packaged up in a virtual environment that you can get up and running in 15 minutes!
Sandbox comes with a dozen hands-on tutorials that will guide you through the basics of Hadoop; tutorials built on the experience gained from training thousands of people in our Hortonworks University Training classes.
Build a Proof of Concept
The Sandbox includes the Hortonworks Data Platform in an easy to use form. You can add your own datasets, and connect it to your existing tools and applications. With this, you can prove out your use of Hadoop and plan the integration points for your first Hadoop project.
Test New Functionality
You can test new functionality with the Sandbox before you put it into production. Simply, easily and safely.
What's New in Sandbox 2.0
- HDP 2.0 comprises the most recent innovation being delivered in the open Hadoop community. It delivers the latest releases across Hadoop and the key related projects into a single integrated and tested platform. While there are hundreds of new features found in each Apache project, some of the highlights for this release include:
- Enterprise Ready YARN, the Hadoop Operating SystemWith Hadoop 2, Apache Hadoop YARN serves as the Hadoop operating system, and takes Hadoop from a single-use data platform for batch processing to a multi-use platform that enables batch, interactive, online and stream processing.
- Stinger Phase 2; Interactive SQL Queries at Petabyte ScaleThe Stinger Initiative was launched at the beginning of 2013 as a broad community-based effort to enhance the speed, scale and breadth of SQL semantics supported by Apache Hive. Hive 0.12 represents phase 2 of the Stinger Initiative and HDP 2.0 is a significant step forward for Hive, the de-facto standard for SQL access in Hadoop.
- Reliable NoSQL IN Hadoop with HBaseApache HBase 0.96 is the culmination of more than a year’s worth of effort that’s delivered important enterprise features such as Snapshots and improved MTTR
For the list of patches applied to the component
versions please refer to the Release Notes.
Download & Install
Sandbox is provided as a self-contained virtual machine. No data center, no cloud service and no internet connection needed!
- Install a virtualization environment (3 Options)
- Download & Import the respective Sandbox Image
- Now runs on 32-bit and 64-bit OS (Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mac OSX)
- Minimum 4GB RAM; 8Gb required to run Ambari and Hbase
- Virtualization enabled on BIOS
- Browser: Chrome 25+, IE 9+, Safari 6+ recommended. (Sandbox will not run on IE 10)
The Hortonworks Sandbox is built on the Hortonworks Data Platform. However, excluded from this are:
- Third party tools and downloads (like Talend)
- Data sets uncompressed by Safari from .gz extension to .tsv extensions may not fully import. To solve this issue, using Safari on a Mac, please ensure that the following configuration is set in Preferences: General->uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading".
Look here for Documentation for the Hortonworks Data Platform 2.0
If you have issues with the download or use of the Sandbox, please visit the Hortonworks Sandbox Forum.
Learn Hadoop on Sandbox!
Get Started with Hadoop
This Hadoop tutorial provides a short introduction into working with big data in Hadoop via the Hortonworks Sandbox, HCatalog, Pig and Hive.More »
This Hadoop tutorial shows how to Process Data with Apache Pig using a set of Baseball statistics on American players from 1871-2011.More »
This Hadoop tutorial shows how to Process Data with Hive using a set of Baseball statistics on American players from 1871-2011.More »
This Hadoop tutorial shows how to use HCatalog, Pig and Hive to load and process data using a baseball statistics file. This file has all the statistics for each American player by year from 1871-2011More »
This Hadoop tutorial will enable you to gain a working knowledge of Pig and hands-on experience creating Pig scripts to carry out essential data operations and tasks.More »
In this tutorial, we will load and review data for a fictitious web retail store in what has become an established use case for Hadoop: deriving insights from large data sources such as web logs.More »
This tutorial walks you through how to install and configure the Hortonworks ODBC driver on Windows 7.More »
In this tutorial, you will learn how to use a Microsoft Query in Microsoft Excel 2013 to access sandbox data.More »
In this tutorial, you will use a Microsoft Query in Microsoft Excel 2013 to access sandbox data, and then analyze the data using the Excel Power View feature.More »
This Hadoop tutorial describes how to refine website clickstream data using the Hortonworks Data Platform, and how to analyze and visualize this refined data using the Power View feature in Microsoft Excel 2013.More »
This Hadoop tutorial describes how to install and configure the Hortonworks ODBC driver on Mac OS X. After you install and configure the ODBC driver, you will be able to access Hortonworks sandbox data using ExcelMore »
This tutorial describes how to refine raw server log data using the Hortonworks Data Platform, and how to analyze and visualize this refined log data using the Power View feature in Microsoft Excel 2013.More »
This tutorial describes how to refine raw Twitter data using the Hortonworks Data Platform, and how to analyze and visualize this refined sentiment data using the Power View feature in Microsoft Excel 2013.More »
New Features in HDP 2.1
How to use Apache Tez and Apache Hive for Interactive Query with Hadoop and Hortonworks Data Platform 2.1More »
Use Apache Falcon to define an end-to-end data pipeline and policy for Hadoop and Hortonworks Data Platform 2.1More »
How to use Apache Storm to process real-time streaming data in Hadoop with Hortonworks Data Platform.More »
In this tutorial we will walk through the process of
- Configuring Apache Knox and LDAP services on HDP Sandbox
- Run a MapReduce Program using Apache
In this tutorial you will learn how to connect the Hortonworks Sandbox to Tableau so that you can visualize data from the Sandbox.More »
In this tutorial the user will be introduced to Revolution R Enterprise and how it works with the Hortonworks Sandbox. A data file will be extracted from the Sandbox using ODBC and then analyzed using R functions inside Revolution R Enterprise.More »
Welcome to the QlikView (Business Discovery Tools) tutorial developed by Qlik™. The tutorial is designed to help you get connected…More »
Learn to configure BIRT (Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools) to access data from the Hortonworks Sandbox. BIRT is used by more than 2.5 million developers to quickly gain personalized insights and analytics into Java / J2EE applicationsMore »
In this tutorial you will learn how to do a 360 degree view of a retail business’ customers using the Datameer Playground, which is built on the Hortonworks Sandbox.More »
Connect Hortonworks Sandbox Version 2.0 with Hortonworks Data Platform 2.0 to Hunk™: Splunk Analytics for Hadoop. Hunk offers an integrated platform to rapidly explore, analyze and visualize data that resides natively in HadoopMore »
Learn how to use Cascading Pattern to quickly migrate Predictive Models (PMML) from SAS, R, MicroStrategy onto Hadoop and deploy them at scale.More »
Learn how to setup SAP Portofolio of products (SQL Anywhere, Sybase IQ, BusinessObjects BI, HANA and Lumira) with the Hortonworks Sandbox to tap into big data at the speed of business.More »
MicroStrategy uses Apache Hive (via ODBC connection) as the defacto standard for SQL access in Hadoop. Establishing a connection from MicroStrategy to Hadoop and the Hortonworks Sandbox is illustrated hereMore »
Learn how to visualize data using Microsoft BI and HDP with 10 years of raw stock ticker data from NYSE.More »
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to connect the Sandbox to Talend to quickly build test data for your Hadoop environment.More »
In this tutorial you will learn how to run ETL and construct MapReduce jobs inside the Hortonworks Sandbox.More »
From the community
This tutorial describes how to use RHadoop on Hortonworks Data Platform, how to facilitate using R on Hadoop to create powerful analytics platform.More »
This tutorial will show you how to use Spring XD to ingest tweets to HDFS. Once in HDFS, we’ll use Apache Hive to process and analyze them, before visualizing in a tool.More »
This tutorial describes how to use Pig with the Hortonworks Sandbox to do a word count of an imported text file.More »
This tutorial will show you how to use Sqoop to import data into the Hortonworks Sandbox from a Microsoft SQL Server data source.More »
This tutorial explains how to quickly browse, upload and download files to and from the Hortonworks sandbox from within Windows using HDFS Explorer.More »