Sandbox comes with a dozen hands-on tutorials that will guide you through the basics of Hadoop; tutorials built on the experience gained from training thousands of people in our Hortonworks University Training classes
The easiest way to get started with Enterprise Hadoop
Sandbox is a personal, portable Hadoop environment that comes with a dozen interactive Hadoop tutorials. Sandbox includes many of the most exciting developments from the latest HDP distribution, packaged up in a virtual environment that you can get up and running in 15 minutes!
Sandbox comes with a dozen hands-on tutorials that will guide you through the basics of Hadoop; tutorials built on the experience gained from training thousands of people in our Hortonworks University Training classes.
Build a Proof of Concept
The Sandbox includes the Hortonworks Data Platform in an easy to use form. You can add your own datasets, and connect it to your existing tools and applications. With this, you can prove out your use of Hadoop and plan the integration points for your first Hadoop project.
Test New Functionality
You can test new functionality with the Sandbox before you put it into production. Simply, easily and safely.
Download & Install
Sandbox is provided as a self-contained virtual machine. No data center, no cloud service and no internet connection needed!
- Install a virtualization environment (3 Options)
- Download & Import the respective Sandbox Image
Prior Releases of HDP on Sandbox :
- Now runs on 32-bit and 64-bit OS (Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mac OSX)
- Minimum 4GB RAM; 8Gb required to run Ambari and Hbase
- Virtualization enabled on BIOS
- Browser: Chrome 25+, IE 9+, Safari 6+ recommended. (Sandbox will not run on IE 10)
The Hortonworks Sandbox is built on the Hortonworks Data Platform. However, excluded from this are:
- Third party tools and downloads (like Talend)
- Data sets uncompressed by Safari from .gz extension to .tsv extensions may not fully import. To solve this issue, using Safari on a Mac, please ensure that the following configuration is set in Preferences: General->uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading".
Look here for Documentation on the Hortonworks Data Platform
If you have issues with the download or use of the Sandbox, please visit the Hortonworks Sandbox Forum.
Learn Hadoop on Sandbox!
Develop with Hadoop
Start developing with Hadoop. These tutorials are designed to ease your way into developing with Hadoop:
New in HDP 2.2
Real World Examples
In this tutorial, we will build a solution to ingest real time streaming data into HBase and HDFS.
In previous tutorial we have explored generating and processing streaming data with Apache Kafka and Apache Storm. In this tutorial we will create HDFS Bolt & HBase Bolt to read the streaming data from the Kafka Spout and persist in Hive & HBase tables.
Get Started with Hadoop Administration. These tutorials are designed to ease your way into managing Hadoop:
Hadoop for Data Scientists & Analysts
Get Started with data analysis on Hadoop. These tutorials are designed to help you make the most of data with Hadoop:
Introduction to Data Science & Analysis with Hadoop
Real World Examples
Integration Guides from Partners
These tutorials illustrate key integration points with partner applications.