Your fastest onramp to enterprise Hadoop™!
The Hortonworks Sandbox is designed to provide you with a portable hadoop tutorial solution, a learning platform and a personal Hadoop environment in one convenient package. The Sandbox comes with step-by-step hands-on hadoop tutorials, demos and videos that allow you to go from Zero to Big Data in 15 Minutes.
What You Can Do
The Sandbox, your portable Hadoop Tutorial Platform, lets you experience Apache Hadoop™ from the convenience of your own laptop — no data center, no cloud service and no internet connection needed.
The Hortonworks Sandbox is:
- A free download
- A complete, self contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured
- A personal, portable and standalone Hadoop environment
- A set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials that allow you to learn and explore Hadoop on your own
This is a single node instance of Hadoop™ and is designed to help you take the initial steps towards learning Hadoop and related projects.
The Sandbox is designed for neophyte Hadoop users to expert users, using the See It, Learn It and Do It methodology. If you are new to Hadoop you will have the opportunity to See It with videos and demonstrations of the technology, and then Learn It with walk through step-by-step, hands-on tutorials. Already an expert on Hadoop? Then you’ll be able to Do It in a comprehensive environment where you can learn more and explore the features of the projects included in the Sandbox: Apache Pig™, Apache Hive™, Apache HCatalog™ and Apache HBase™.
These Hadoop tutorials are built based on the experience gained training thousands of people in our Hortonworks University Training classes. As we continue to build out the Sandbox, we will provide additional levels of sophistication – think of it as the Hadoop 101, 201 and 301 levels of learning. And, the process of updating the tutorials is easy through the click of the “Update” button, initiating a lightweight download of just the tutorial content.
Use the Sandbox to:
- Explore Hadoop on your own
- Plan out the integration points of your proof of concept project
- Prepare for a more complex pilot deployment
Note: The Sandbox is for evaluation and learning purposes and is not designed for large scale testing or heavy work loads.
- 64-bit Operating System: Mac, Windows 7
- Minimum 4GB RAM, VirtualBox version 4.2 or higher; VMware Fusion 5.0 or higher; VMware Player 5.0 or higher
- Browser: Chrome 25, IE 9 and Safari 6 recommended
- The download is around 2GB, depending on your network connection this could take some time.
Have questions or need help? Checkout the Hortonworks Sandbox Community Forums